Writing for the Rumour Mill?
There are a few basic guidelines to remember when posting:
- ALWAYS ensure your post is IN-CHARACTER. It must be written from the voice of your character. Please avoid using modern vernacular (e.g., dude, lol, electricity, yolo, etc.). Write as your character would speak it.
- NEVER report on information you’ve gotten Out of Character (not within roleplay and in a logical IC manner). This is metagaming, and while their a few exceptions, these involve gaining clear permission and potentially the review of the Admins. This is probably the biggest rule for writers, most especially reporters.
- DO, if appropriate, sign your posts with your IC name or pen-name. We realize not everyone wants to make a brand-new WordPress account just for their character, but please still include this in your work so we can give credit to you. Your username will also be presented in the OoC section. If you don’t feel it appropriate, make a note that you want it submitted by the Associated Scribes.
- DON’T post any content about another player’s character without their clearly expressed consent, especially with pieces that have gossip or slander. This includes leaders and business owners. While Real Life may not pay these respects to famous figures, we in Mysts of Eyr feel it’s important to do so to maintain a healthy community.
- DO correctly tag your posts. If you are writing an interview on the village leader, you might wish to tag it “interview”, “dragons”, “village elder”, etc.
- DON’T report on events ongoing with other sims or OOC information. The Rumour Mill is strictly about Mysts of Eyr, and is strictly in-character.
- DO place your entry into the correct category. We have categories such as Breaking News, Editorials, Classifieds, etc. If you are unsure of the category, simply ask the Editor in Chief or a Mysts of Eyr Admin.
- DON’T assume the Editor-in-Chief or Mysts of Eyr Admins are ignoring or denying your work– if you sent in something via IM, notecard or have a draft pending, kindly check in with them!
- DO add photos and personal touches! Make your posts attractive by using formatting tools instead of a massive block of text. If you need help, contact the Editor-in-Chief.
- DO understand that the Editor-in-Chief and/or Mysts of Eyr Admins will review posts for content and grammatical errors. They reserve the right to edit, deny or unpublish any article that is deemed inappropriate IC or OoC. If a piece is heavily edited, denied or unpublished, the Editor-in-Chief and/or Admins will do their best to reach out to the writer to explain why.
Commenting on a published piece?
- All comments must be IC AND signed by an IC name or pen-name. Similarly, they are also subject to IC consequences. If you don’t want to be known ICly for your commentary, please use a pen-name.
- OoC comments are only permitted on OoC posts (posts tagged with OOC). OoC comments on IC articles will be removed. If you have a question or concern, please reach out to the Editor-in-Chief or an Admin!
- Inappropriate language will not be permitted IC-ly or OoC-ly. While displaying a character’s frustration is alright, please use words from your character’s native tongue, clever medi-fantasy phrases, or ‘scrawl out’/’beep out’ obvious curse words.
- Clearly trolling or OoCly bleeding comments will be removed at the discretion of the Editor-in-Chief and/or Admins.
The Rumour Mill, as part of the Mysts of Eyr, is also subject to all of the Mysts of Eyr Rules.